Student Visa Information

If you are considering studying at a University in the UK, it is time to think about your visa situation. There are many details to consider when traveling to a foreign country to study. First of all it is important to find out which documents you need to support your application and what type of visa will be adequate for your type of course.

Our Guardianship programmes offer comprehensive packages from the first day of your son/daughter's stay in the UK and throughout the whole academic year.


Type of student Visa

Short-Term Study Visas

Short term study visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long.

This type of visa cannot be extended in the UK.

To apply for a Short-term visa you will be required to provide evidence that you can support yourself during your trip by providing finance evidence.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visas

If you are 16 or over and want to study at higher education level, you’ll need to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa. You need to wait until you have an offer from a university before you can start your application. All applicants must meet the requirements of the relevant UK Immigration Rules in order to be successful in their visa application. It’s important you don't miss any information and if you are not sure about any aspect of your application please contact us.

BritishUni experts provide information and advice about visa requirements, cost and when to apply.

Find out more about Tier 4 (General) student visas.


Useful Information

HIS - Immigration Health Surcharge

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your student visa application. Short-term visas that are less than 6 months don't have to pay for healthcare. The whole of the charge will need to be paid upfront at the application stage depending on how long your applicant’s visa will be valid for.

Collecting your BRP - Biometric Residence Permit

Once your visa application is successful, you will be issued a 30 day entry permit in your passport which will enable you to enter the UK, please make sure you arrive in the UK within this period. Your actual visa is in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and you need be collect it after your arrival. Your BRP is the documentary evidence of your UK immigration permission so make sure you keep it in a safe place.

Police Registration Certificate

If your current or most recent immigration permission has (or had) the condition to register with the police then you must submit your police registration certificate with your Tier 4 application. Make sure your police registration certificate is up to date and shows your current address and current immigration status.

Work and Study

Tier4 holders are allowed to work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have. Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term-time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), please check carefully which work conditions apply to you and contact us for advice if you are not sure. Students on short-term student visas are not allowed to work in the UK.